The Holiday Season is officially upon us, and with its magnificent splendor, the joyous music and glistening lights comes the shopping rush. In the midst of all the celebration we must keep in mind the holidays are also prime season for cyber thieves. As we have seen in the past with Target’s huge Data Breach last Christmas, where 40 million debit and credit card numbers were stolen, we are all at risk.
So, here are some tips for a safe online shopping spree:
- Use credit or prepaid cards to protect your bank account information. In the case of a data breach, your checking and saving account won’t be affected.
- Have a firewall and antivirus software, at a minimum, in your computer.
- Don’t utilize public Wi-Fi to shop online.
- Only shop from secure SSL certified sites “https://” with a padlock icon.
- Always create strong passwords to all your online accounts, and change them at least every 3 months.
- Be wary of deals that are too good to be true. Avoid opening links or popups that encourage you to get their “special promotion.”
So, this Black Friday and Cyber Monday be ready to get amazing deals, while keeping your personal information secure. For more tips, please visit MySecurityAwareness.
PS: Did you know?